sizing the neck of a poncho, help!

tazluvr

Question

Is there a way to know how large to make the neck of a poncho for a girl size 7? (or any size for that matter)?

I don't have a pattern for a specific size, (the pattern I am usin actually says for girls 4-14, but I know that wouldn't fit a 4 year old's neck the way it fits a 14 year olds neck) and I dont have the girl nearby to measure her, so are there standard sizes or what? I'm doing a regular-looking poncho that is all in one piece and has the V in the front and a V in the back (if that makes sense).

How big do I make the neck? and do I pull the yarn when I measure that or let it hang loose?

Thanks for your help!

4 answers to this question

:cheer I usually make the neck to whatever the pattern says then do a row or eyelets on the neck edge, if the stitch does not have one, then make a drawstring to pull the neck up to fit the little ones. Much easier that way than struggling to get it over their head.

I could tell you what I did for a 7yr old, recently, but I do not know :think what yarn or hook you are using. Let me know the details and I will work it out for you.

Hope this is helpful.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

i'm using caron simply soft...with a H hook, I believe (it's at home, i'm at the office). The pattern said to chain 112 and then join for the neck hole...I crochet loose...I'm actually afraid of making it too small....what do you think?

Here are the standard head measurements for various ages.

Child (3 - 10 years), Circumference: 19" - 20 1/2"

Pre-teens and Teens, 20 1/2" - 22" Adult Woman, Circumference: 21 - 23 1/2"

Therefore if your joined circle is at least 20" around, it should be large enough to fit over most 7 yr olds' heads. As you can see there isn't alot of difference between head sizes, youth to adult, but I guess a couple of inches can make a difference.

Good luck.

I agree, making the starting chain a bit longer and using a drawstring if it's too big is much better than having it turn out too small. I generally go for a couplefew inches bigger than head size anyway bc anytime I edge things in sc they tend to get tighter than they started out, so when I made a poncho for a neighbor recently, who has a 22 in head size, I made the starting chain about 26 in. The finished poncho fits over my 23 in head so I'm hoping it'll fit her ok *g*

Archived