Ruana

gypsy

Question

Hi everyone! Here's another newbie. I've been wanting to make a ruana poncho for a long time. I've seen one in some store during my trip in France a few years ago. I just started crocheting and can do some stitches but I never made any real clothing so far :blush .

There are tons of patterns available on the net but I haven't found "mine". I'd be glad if anyone can help me out. The ruana I want to crochet is basically a folded big square, like most ruanas. Now most ruanas have a square or round neckline, I want to make a big v neck, leaving very little fabric around the shoulders. So the basic pattern would be a square with a diamond shaped opening at the centre.

Does anyone know how to make this?

4 answers to this question

There's an Irish Cape pattern on http://www.freepatterns.com int he Wearables section (you have to sign up for the free membership). In any case, you could use the basic pattern for the Irish cape and instead of leaving the front open, join the 2 sides together and you will have a ruana. There's also a free pattern for a Cosmopolitan Wrap on the net and in a magazine that is the same basic pattern as the Irish Cape you could use. When I find a spare moment, I look it up for you.

Archived