Clapochet help

kayke

Question

So, I've started this pattern 4 times and had to rip it back each time. It seems really easy, but when I get to the third row and count my stitches, they don't match the number I'm supposed to have! I thought I was doing everything right but... apparently not. Anyone have any ideas on what I should be doing differently? Here is a link to the pattern:

http://crochetkitten.blogspot.com/2009/02/clapochet.html

when I get to row 3, I've only got 13 stitches. I tried doing something different, got 15, but then as I progressed it looked really wrong. Help!:think

8 answers to this question

hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

You might be skipping the first or last stitch of the previous row when you work a new row. you can put a marker in the first and last stitches to be sure this isn't happening.

can you post a photo of what you have crocheted? that would make it easier to try to diagnose what's happening.

I'm making my second one of these. It is real easy to miss a stitch. I've found that on the odd number rows, trebles all the way across, they begin with 3 trebles in the first stitch, then a treble in each treble and chain across. I often miss that first chain space after the three tr in the first stitch.

Hope this helps.

I'm making my second one of these. It is real easy to miss a stitch. I've found that on the odd number rows, trebles all the way across, they begin with 3 trebles in the first stitch, then a treble in each treble and chain across. I often miss that first chain space after the three tr in the first stitch.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I tried again and I totally get what you mean! I counted really carefully and came up with the right amount of stitches. However, I was reading my pattern and it says "Row 3 (odd-numbered rows) Ch 4; turn. 2 tr in first tr, tr in first ch-1 space..." and you said 3 tr in the first tr. Is it 3 or 2? If it's three then that explains part of why I've been having problems... :lol

My bad. I don't do the chain 4. I chain 3, then do a linked treble to it. Then the other two trebles. The pattern, as written, treats the chain 4 as a treble, so there ARE 3 trebles there! Sorry if I confused you further.

But you saw what I meant about overlooking those chain spaces in row 2. Keep your eye on those spots throughout the shawl, as it can trip you up every other row.

Archived