Dyeing Handspun Wool

mandymae

For those who have experience dyeing wools, is it easier to dye the wool before it is spun or after it is spun? I've seen people do it both ways, and although I'm not ready to start dyeing yet (I haven't learned how to spin yet, either) I'm just curious what everyone else's take on the matter is!

Thanks!

Well, I don't have any experience dying unspun wool, but, I have dyed lots of yarn. I don't think that one would be any easier than the other. It is the same process. I think that when you dye roving, the spinning process changes the look a little.

Well, I don't have any experience dying unspun wool, but, I have dyed lots of yarn. I don't think that one would be any easier than the other. It is the same process. I think that when you dye roving, the spinning process changes the look a little.

Gotcha! I've just heard rumors of people accidentally felting their already-spun yarn during the dyeing process...didn't know if there was any truth to that or not!

I usually dye in the microwave. I have never had my yarn felt. Just make sure to let the yarn cool before rinsing and don't use cold water and you should be OK.

• 3 months later...

Archived