Painted Doilies....

Kimberly

I recently bought the painted doily book to be made with multiple shades of sewing thread. Sewing thread here is insanely expensive so I thought to use some of my crocheting floss strands instead since there is a wide arrange of colors....has anyone tried this? Or does anyone have some good tips on where to pick up some decently priced thread? I can always send an unsuspecting, and very gullible family member back in the US out to pick some up and send over to me!

Thanks! :hug

Thanks for the link to the thread site! I am looking at all of the colors and drooling! Now, to ask a few questions......these come with 1100 yards for 4.79 for polyester or 5.79 for rayon in a plethora of colors (woo hoo I got to use plethora in a sentance today!!).

What is the difference between Rayon and Polyester threads? Is there a more specific one that I should use? I believe that the normal all-purpose thread that is suggested in the pattern booklet (Coats & Clark Art. 200) is actually a polyester core with a cotton exterior. Has anyone used a non-cotton based exterior thread for these doilies?

Any opinions? :think

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I thread-painted my first doily. I made it twice, once with some old all cotton thread and once with the cotton wrapped poly. They both came out nicely. The cotton was gaudier since I just put colors together I liked. The poly just faded from dark to light blue, so I needed three strands of each color.

I wound two full bobbins of each poly color so I didn't have to have three full spools of thread. The bobbins I put in a bobbin case and closed the lid most of the way, feeding the threads through the tiny crack, so I had no trouble with tangling thread or tumbling bobbins. I had a lot of thread left on each of the bobbins when I finished, so I thing they would have been adequate for a much larger project.

Archived