Substituting Lydia's Rug yarn

Stephanie

Question

I have a pattern for a rug that asks for Lydia's Rug Yarn. Of course, it doesn't appear to be sold in the colors I want any longer, so I thought I would substitute something else. It does not appear to be sold locally here at all, so I have nothing to compare it with. My experience with Red Heart indicates that stains woudl potentially be a problem. Other suggestions?

Yes, there is a chance I might win some off Ebay, but for what sellers are charging for shipping, I'm not even sure I want to bid.

Thanks,

Stephanie

3 answers to this question

What are you making? If you can, I'd just use 2 strands of w.w. yarn instead. Or any "chunky" yarn.

Lydias is more durable than most W.W. but unless you're making a rug, I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually I have a rug booklet I bought a couple months ago and it uses everything but Lydia's rug yarn. I was glad too since it is in short supply here, rough, and spendy for the little amount you get. Not to mention limited colors.

My booklet calls for Red Heart Plush, TLC Essentials, Heathers; Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, Chenille Thick & Quick; Bernat Berella; and Patons Decor.

All used in different combinations; holding two or three strands together.

There are several different patterns. Very pretty.

Maybe that helps, some. :)

2a_2.jpg

Here's a photo of the project I was planning to do. Another member posted a completed one in grays and I thought that looked wonderful and would work perfect for my sister (of course, I'll make one for me too). I have to query my sis as to where she might want the rug. If it is near the wood stove, then I'll have to do it out of wool instead (safer with embers). Good to know that Thick and Quick would work though. That has some perfect colors for this. I've got a watch on some grays for the old Aunt Lydias (when it was still cotton and rayon), but as mentioned, I'm willing to substitute!

Archived