Gauge Trouble - Is it just me?

Ramblinlady

Question

I have been crocheting since I was about 10 years old. Started with doilies. Taught by Nana, who was right-handed so I learned crochet right handed, even though I am left-handed.

But from the beginning, I have never found a pattern with a gauge I can match. I have changed hooks, 3 sizes up and 3 sizes down. I have tried it with a large variety of yarns/threads. But it never works. Either my swatch is too short or tall, narrow or wide. Never the correct gauge.

What I've usually ended up doing is making things where exact size isn't so much of an issue. And I've made hundreds of gifts and sold my projects too. But I always feel like I'm less than a "good crocheter" because I can't get that darn gauge to work.

I don't make clothes for myself, and usually if I'm making something for a gift I can get the measurements I need and make the item just fine.

But am I the only person who has this issue with gauge?

4 answers to this question

Kathy,

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I'm a rider when I work with most yarn. Although I use a much tighter tension when I'm working with threads. But this probably explains my shock at times when I see a baby pattern for using sport weight yarn and a J hook. Must be a yanker. My Mom learned to crochet twenty years after I did, and our work is totally different as far as gauge goes. I think she's a lifter.

I also learned something that was quite an eye opener on this subject when I first started to make thread bears. I read a pattern that said "crochet 2 arms or 2 legs one right after the other. Don't do one of the pair one day, and the other one the next day. Because a lot of the time you will have 2 different sized extremities." And you know, I found out they were right. So, even from day to day, your crochet gauge can be slightly different.

I think gauge problems are universal! And many gauges I see are pretty unrealistic. Most of us can usually find a way to get the stitch gauge. It's the row gauge that gives the most problems. Fortunately we can usually just add or subtract rows. HOWEVER in a

case where row gauge really matters, there is a method you can use to adjust row height. I call it the Golden Loop method. Works with any stitch, but let's us a dc as an

example:

YO, insert hook in specified stitch and draw up a loop -- NOW STOP! This is the Golden Loop, and it determines the ultimate height of your stitch. If you need a taller stitch,

draw this loop up higher. If your stitch is too tall, don't draw this loop up so high.

Now just finish the dc as usual. You may need to practice a few rows with the new height to get it to become automatic. It is this one loop, not the size of the hook, that determines row gauge.

Jean Leinhauser

Jean,

Thank you for that insight. I always thought that changing hook size or thread/yarn size would get you the correct gauge.

For me, one of my biggest issues is finding a pattern I like, and then finding out if it's going to be the size it claims it will end up being. Often, for me, my finished project and the indications on the pattern are MILES apart. haha

Archived