My squares dont look right!~!~!~!~!

shelain22

Question

I am working on an afghan for my dh, the warm up america one and I have made it through about 1/3 os the squares. This is my first crochet project where you work in squares and then join. The problem is.. The squares, whili pretty much the same size, look a little slopy to me. The outer edges are chopy, does that make sense? I was wondering, would it be ok to do a row sc around before joining or will it work itselfe out as I join and what method would look the most seamless?

Thanks

Valerie

4 answers to this question

Do you have a picture of your completed squares?

As for joining, if you're not too worried about the afghan being a little different in size from the pattern, I think a sc edging on each square might help (but not seeing the squares, it's difficult to say for sure). You might want to make sure you use either the color you will join with or the same color as the last round you've worked.

Whipstitching squares in the both loops usually provides a nice finish with little seaming. Make sure you place the right sides of your squares together when you whipstitch them together.

Are you counting the stitches in each row? And are there the same number of stitches in each row? I think that's the biggest reason a square doesn't turn out right as the stitches are counting on each row as you go. Also, when you turn and put in your first stitch on a new row, are you going into the first stitch next to the turning stitch, or skipping it (it's usually hidden a bit by the turning stitch) and then making an extra stitch on the end? I found I had done this several times a while back, now I make sure I get my first stitch in the correct place and count every stitch on every row.

My stitch count is on, I did notice this... On the double crochet squares it says to ch 3 and turn, which i believe is standerd, Well the ch 3 was kinda stickin out so i started to ch2 and the rest of the squares were just fine. As for starting in the wrong stitch... I need to look, that may be a problem as well.

Archived