Yarn Substittion and Gauge

Hello, everyone.

:help

I found a pattern for a shrug I want to make. The pattern calls for Moda Dea Tutu yarn. Red Heart discontinued that yarn, so I will have to substitute. I think I will go with TLC Essentials.

The pattern's gauge is 3 sc rows=2 inches and 5 sc sts=3 inches using a P hook. I have been swatching my *** off all evening long using leftover Red Heart Super Saver. (I know, I know, I should probably be using TLC Essentials.) My problem is this. Is it better to get 5 sc sts=3 inches or is it better to have 3 sc rows=2 inches? :think Because I have only been able to get either one or the other, not both at the same time.

I really would like to make this shrug because I'm working in a place right now where they run the air conditoner at sub-Arctic temperatures and I have the blood circulation of a Chihuahua. :wbrr

(No offense to anybody who owns a Chihuahua.)

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

P.S. The pattern can be found on Crochet Pattern Central. It's called "Pink Fringe Slouchy Shrug."

link to pattern http://www.dianelangan.com/CrochetPatternFiles/websafenames/pinkshrug.html

since this is made from cuff to cuff, the height of the rows will determine the width of the shrug across your back, and the length of the arms. the width of the rows will determine the length of it from the shoulder to the waist.

It's not a very fitted garment, but I don't see where it gives any measurements at all, so it's hard to know how big each size is supposed to be.

I don't know how warm it is going to be, since it is made at such a large gauge. it is going to be very holey.

Either that, or go on Yarndex. It's a site where they compare different yarns. You can search for Tutu, and then compare different yarns of that particular gauge to find something similar.

Archived