My poor favorite thread hook.

I have a favorite hook for working with size 10 crochet thread. I've had it for many years and has lost it's silvery shine. Now it also drags along the thread making it difficult to crochet with. It doesn't snag the thread, just doesn't slide through as smoothly as it once did. It is tarnished with love and time.

I know I could get a new hook but that means convincing the family to let me into a yarn shop or a Michael's and you all know what happens when we do that. I was wondering if maybe I could save this cherished hook since it was the one of the first small hooks I bought oh so many years ago when I started loving doilies. Would a clear coat of nail polish do anything to affect the hook and/or my threads?

Hugs and cookies

Maybe you could rub the hook with wax paper or lotion to help the thread glide better. Clear nail polish would probably work for awhile but will eventually rub/flake off.

I've given those a try. The finish on it is so worn off that the wax and lotion doesn't stay on long so I have to keep starting and stopping. I even tried my daughter's hair. Mine was wet and I find wet hair doesn't work as well.

I didn't think about the flaking off part, I so rarely use nail polish myself. Wish me luck. I'm gonna try convincing the family to let me go in a craft store. They're worried I'm going to buy yarn after 3 hours of browsing. Maybe if I promise I won't, they'll let me have five minutes.

Hugs and Cookies.

You can refinish old metal hooks yourself. I help DS refinish old Lionel train parts and some of them are a right mess.

First, wipe off all the rust and roughness you can with a little baking soda on a dry cloth. It sounds silly, but it helps a lot.

Next, buy a can of polishing compound from a car parts store. A tiny can will do. If you have a Dremel tool, you can put some on a buffing wheel; if not, put a little on a dry cloth of paper towel and twist the rough part of the hook through it. Rub the compound off the hook and feel it with your fingertips; is it better? If not, repeat until you're satisfied with the result.

Finally, take a teeny dab of car wax and shine it. We don't do that with most of the train parts because of the way they work, but for crochet hooks and knitting needles it's a good idea. Candle wax will work too, but doesn't seem to last as long.

Really, really rough or rusty items can be sanded lightly with an emery board, but your hook probably isn't that bad.

Thanks Becky, I have almost all those items in the house. I'll show hubby the directions and get him to do that on his next day off. I still kind of like the idea of sterling silver hooks though. Gonna take a lot of convincing though.

Hugs and Cookies.

A while back I saw an article about cleaning steel crochet hooks. I don't remember where, could have even been here on Crochetville. Anyway, I printed a copy. The wax that they recommended was Renaissance wax. They said that bee's wax was good too. But I would get another hook and save the original one as a keepsake. :crocheting

Archived