To block or not to block??

Lollie2639

What is blocking? What does it do and why do you do it? What happens if you don't do it?

I am a new threadie too.....:blush

:manyheart:yay:devil

Blocking can mean the difference from a squished up little doily that doesn't show the stitches, to a beautiful big open lacy doily that has a wonderful shape and shows all your beautiful work. Blocking gives your work shape.

Here's a site that talks about blocking.

http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet7.php

• 4 months later...

The only thing I block, truly block, is snowflakes and stiff ornaments or baskets. Most of the rest of it I lay out on my table and use a spritz of spray starch, a fairly warm, not hot iron and stretch and pull until it turns out even. Then I leave it laying flat until totally dry. I've never been able to really block a doily and have it even all over.

• 4 weeks later...

I think blocking is essential - why put all that time and effort into the piece and then not show it off at its best advantage.

I made myself a blocking board from a piece of Gyprock (think it's called drywall in the US - plasterboard for wall lining made with paper on front and back) about 20 inches square. It is firm and stable, but allows for pins to be inserted without too much trouble.

Using a permanent black marker, I drew centre lines both ways, and both diagonals. Then using a compass, I drew circles about 1 inch apart from the centre of the board out to the edge. It looks a bit like a neat spider web.

Covered the whole board with adhesive clear plastic (book covering), turning the edges onto the back to stop the plaster from crumbling on the edges. This is important - stops any marker stains off the article and protects the plasterboard from dampness.

After finishing a doily or centrepiece, I wash and starch it, and pin it to shape, stretching a bit as I go, onto the blocking board. The markings enable me to pin into a perfect circle, with pattern elements running in straight lines from the centre. I use lots of pins, especially around the edges to keep the curve as it should be. Leave to dry before removing pins.

Your piece will look truly finished - flat, crisp, in shape, and the pattern emphasised. You will feel even more proud of your handiwork.

• 2 months later...

I had never blocked a doily until recently. I crocheted this last one tighter (looked much better, IMO) and then blocked it. I used a huge blocking board I have (I love that thing!), just pinned it into shape while still dry, making sure all the points were equidistant from the center (I used a lot of pins for this process), then sprayed it with water until it was wet. Left it like this until completely dry (overnight and part of the next day, in case).

My, what a difference that made. :D

I am never not blocking a doily again.

Archived