Flying with hooks

According to http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1012.xml Crochet hooks are ok on planes now. However, from other dicussions I have heard it depends on the airline and the inspector. Here's what I would do:

1. Take a plastic hook just in case.
  2. Check with the airline.
  3. Take a copy of the list from the site mentioned above with you to prove your point.
  4. Take a padded self address stamped envelop with you just in case they try to confiscate your hooks, you can drop them in the mail instead of losing them to the airline.

If all else fails, you can pack your hooks and do finger crochet on the plane.

Finger crochet links:

http://www.wrights.com/class/kidscrafts/fingercrochet/fingercrochet.htm

http://journals.aol.com/crochetwithdee/CrochetWithDee/entries/1453

http://www.mycraftbook.com/craftidea.asp?craftID=142

Most of all have a safe trip.:)

Emily

I flew United and I used bamboo hooks and aluminum hooks and had no problems. I did take small fold up scissors. You can also have small nail clippers to cut yarn.

debbi

• 2 weeks later...

I fly a lot and always with metal hooks. This year I've been to Taiwan, Maui, London, Florida, Arizona and New Orleans. I flew once with size 9 and size 10 thread hooks and thought those might be considered lethal weapons, but no problem. Once a woman sitting next to me voiced her concern to the flight attendant, but was told they were legal (size C Clover hook)

I carry a backpack that holds my purse, my crochet projects and my reading materials. I've never been asked to open the backpack for inspection.

I brought a pair of scissors accidentally and had to check my backpack or lose the scissors to the inspector. I checked the backpack, removed my purse and crochet project and went on my way. Now I use either a plastic knife or a dental floss container to cut thread/yarn.

I've never packed metal needles for weaving in ends;only the plastic ones.

I think the advice to bring along a SASE in case an inspector won't let you on with the hooks is good advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I fly a lot, and have never had a problem with my hooks. My frist time, I had the metal hook I perfecred and a plastic hook, just in case, with me. I didn't have any problem getting them though. I've now flown with everything from a 1.75mm steel hook up to a size G hook, and never had a problem. In fac, the flight attendants have always been very intrested in what I was making.

I've also never had problems getting my bag with a hook in it though building with xray machines ( local court houses and such).

Though, I've never tired bringing sissors or nail clippers since one of the ladies I work with had her nail clippers (that she brought to cut yarn) taken away from her.

I just bring projects that aren't going to need to have the yarn or thread cut until I can get my checked luggage.

I flew to London, Amsterdam, and Dublin this summer, as well as all over the US, and the only time I had problems (they just inspected my bag - and were interested that I did crochet), was right after the London bombings and I had a whole pile of steel hooks in my bag. I put most of them in my checked luggage after that, just keeping out the one I needed, and didn't have a problem at all. Now, knitting needles were not allowed in London Gatwick or Dublin airports.

I also brought my small knitting loom for socks and a plastic yarn needle for that, and didn't have one problem with it.

I also had a small travel sized dental floss for cutting yarn which I was quite greatful for since I was gone for 3 weeks and wanted to do some bookmarks. :)

Guest Crafterlady46

Geez they don't do a good job checking bags here. I brought a flashlight onboard it has fittings for screwdrivers in the cap. (I am quite handy you know. You would be suprised.) Would make an excellent weapon. Course the only reason I brought it was because I have a great fear of falling, I broke my wrist last April and have had a hell of a time recovering. Anyways.....I brought my steel hook #9 and had no problems. In Bangor they make you take off your shoes (good thing we shower daily). Geez and they let a screwdriver through. Does that make any sense?

Archived