Need help with the Then and Now afghan

Y.Marie

Question

Hello Ladies,

I hope someone can help me with the Then and Now afghan on the Bernat website. They call it Then and Now February 2010 Eight color afghan.

I've read the pattern over and over and have crochet up to Row 3 over and over to, the only thing I understand is the patterns says after Row 2 is the Last row forms the pattern? Wondering if I redo both rows or just continue the rest of the afghan with row 2?

I'm also stuck on the peaks some call them hills? Since it seems I'll be filling the spaces going up the peak and coming down from the peak, is it normal to fill the extra spaces with more stitches as the rows continue? Like more v stitches or dc's?

I've done one ripple afghan but none like this one.

Please any help will be greatly appreciated by me, thank you

Y.Marie

3 answers to this question

I think that's a neat looking pattern and I've been wanting to try it. it does look rather daunting! would be MUCH easier with a sttich diagram. or a close up photo.

you will be repeating row 2 for the whole afghan. you can't repeat row 1 as it was worked into the beginning chain.

the number of stitches should remain constant in every row. if you are adding stitches, you have a problem.

i would swatch it and post a photo but I can't as my photo program isn't working.

I swatched it and the pattern is correct as written.

on the hills or peaks you do the big shell of dc, ch, dc, ch,dc, ch, dc into the middle chain-space of the previous big shell, and do a v-stitch in the chain-sp on either side. I scanned it so maybe looking at it will be some help. I can't quite decide if I like it or not...the valleys don't seem very graceful to me, but I like the peaks.

post-10356-135897504352_thumb.jpg

Hi Kathy,

Thank you so much for all your help on the Then and Now afghan pattern, I'll try as you say and I hope mine is as good as your swatch and suggestions.

Thank you,

Y.Marie

Hi Kathy,

It's me again Y.Marie, I wanted to tell you the instructione you gave me and the diagram you made, are the best without your help I would still be trying to figure out the afghan stitches. I'm making sure I don't add anymore stitches as you suggested.

I'm trying to use my yarn I have but know I'll have to get more yarn because I know I don't have enough yarn.

Thank you again for all your help,

Y.Marie

Archived