Ounces in Lion Brand Alpine Wool?

http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/alpineWool.html

Here is the particulars on this yarn. It's 3oz's / 93 yards. I usually go by the yardage when I am substituting yarn. It's just easier that way for me.

Excellent advice! I NEVER go by the weight of the yarn, because the yardage is really all that matters when determining how many skeins of something you'll need for a project. Six ounces of a very bulky chenille might be 100 yards, where six ounces of a fingering weight yarn could have 500 yards! Granted, those are two extremes, so chances are if there was a project you'd use a very bulky chenille for (a purse, maybe), you wouldn't substitute a fingering weight for it since a very light fingering yarn wouldn't work well for crocheting a purse, but it's the best example I could think of to illustrate how the yardage is the important part, and how you need to consider that first when making substitutions.

Excellent advice! I NEVER go by the weight of the yarn, because the yardage is really all that matters when determining how many skeins of something you'll need for a project. Six ounces of a very bulky chenille might be 100 yards, where six ounces of a fingering weight yarn could have 500 yards! Granted, those are two extremes, so chances are if there was a project you'd use a very bulky chenille for (a purse, maybe), you wouldn't substitute a fingering weight for it since a very light fingering yarn wouldn't work well for crocheting a purse, but it's the best example I could think of to illustrate how the yardage is the important part, and how you need to consider that first when making substitutions.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Yardage is ultra-important when you are substituting yarns. :yes

Archived