Lace Weight Yarn

EugeneClarence

Has anyone used lace weight yarn? I now see more of it for sale but don't seem to have any patterns that call for this yarn. I believe it is one size smaller than baby or fingering weight yarn. How does it compare to size 3 thread? Most descriptions say it is good for making lacey things whatever that means.

KnitPicks has some wonderful merino lace weight yarns. I would like to give them a try. http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420128

EugeneClarence

I was wondering this myself, especially as KnitPicks released those gorgeous new yarns. Anyone know? I was picturing something slightly larger than size 3 thread, but I don't really know. Also, would it be comparable to DK/sport/baby if doubled?

sometimes its even smaller than that ..

i have some lace weight mohair its heaven .. i have crocheted with it.. i made a couple wonderful shawls.. but the best thing i have made.. is knit.. i knit it on large needles and it makes a gossamer type layer.. that I wear over tanks and things of that sort..

EugeneClarence- I went ahead and ordered some Gossamer f/ Knit Picks in Caribbean... I can't wait to see it in person! I was thinking about trying to knit it into a shawl, but I don't know.

I got my yarn last week, and it's beautiful. I'm still thinking I'll knit it on big needles and make a wrap. I would say that it's bigger than size 3 thread, and a little smaller than baby/sport weight yarn. Nice for making flowy, lacy things, but not too small.

Archived