blocking

I am very interesed in hearing what people say on this subject. I have always found blocking intimidating for some reason and have never done it. I did an afghan for our county fair a couple of years ago - the blocks started out in a round, then with petals of the round, then squared up. I got points deducted because I didn't block it. It was all acrylic, too. Interesting that you say acrylic won't hold it. I finished it just in time, so didn't wash it. I wonder if they would have notice if I had? I hope this thread gets more posts.

There's a big difference in the feel and in the heft of any work that hasn't been washed. When you wash it you're washing out the sizing. That's the icky scratchy that's added to the yarn, I guess to help hold it's body.

The other interesting thing about washing is that the agitation helps the stitches to fall into their natural position. It's like giving it a good tug to get them to stand up nice and tall.

I suppose you could've washed it and let it dry flat and tried to block. Once you start to use the ghan, the block will fall right out. The other thing is that most of today's yarns have bounce back fibers which are activated by the heat in the dryer. That's why a stretched out ghan will look all tight and brandy new again when it comes out of the dryer.

My grandmother taught me to tug on the work as I go. It gives it a nice blocked look to it and stands the stitches tall where they should be.

I don't know. I think acrylic yarn has some stretch to it so when blocking in sections, it can help stretch the blocks enough to make them more even. I've blocked afghans that have been made using Red Heart and have found it helps some, but I agree with RoseRed. It will have a tendency to fall back in place no matter.

Archived