felting question- size

I love to felt in my washing machine. In my experience, it depends what type of wool you are using. I usually use Patron's Classic Wool and it doesn't shrink very much. Maybe 10% or less.

i will most likely use patons too. thanks for the info. i'm very picky with my purse sizes and i don't want to mess it up.

It depends on how many times you run it through. I use Pattons Classic Wool too and I've had as much as 50% shrinkage. I like to cook my felting on the stove for about 20 min with baking soda and Ivory dish soap before I run it through the washing machine ~ it gives it a much tighter felt, there is no stitch definition when I'm done :) You can control how much shrinkage you have by checking it often and pulling it out when you like the size it is.

I would suggest crocheting a swatch using the stitch and the yarn you will use when you make your bag. Measure it before felting and after felting. But, be aware, felting is NOT an exact science. Swatches sometimes lie. I would just keep checking it while it's in the washing machine.

Archived