EZ Yarn Bobs

hammelldl

For me, they are more trouble than they are worth. Somewhere, lately, I came across an explanation of how to wind yarn on your hand in a figure eight leaving the beginning of the yarn hanging out and at the end winding around the center several times. Then you can pull out the beginning and it unwinds wonderfully. I hope someone knows where this site is, or can give a better explanation, because it is so useful. Until now, I had been winding small amounts of yarn on toilet paper tubes. I tear a small slot to pull the end yarn through to keep from unwinding.

I cut my own from stiff plastic. So now I have an assortment -- some small enough for like 40 stitches -- others fat enough for 300 stitches. I was working on something with 12 color changes across the row with them. They worked pretty well, but I think I've developed a better way where the thread doesn't tangle. I'm working the rows much faster because I spend less time detangling. I haven't taken any photos or written it up yet. I cut the large top hem from an old sheet (because it already had a crease) and then stitched perpendicular to the crease making small pockets about 3 inches wide. So I had about 15 pockets. I tucked the small ball of yarn in its pocket when not in use. Made it so much easier to turn the afghan. The individual balls didn't tangle across each other.

Archived