problems with afghan I'm working on

I'm doing this afghan that looks like the quilts the ladies used to do.

One is a maple leaf, the one I'm doing is shoofly. They are Granny squares and sewn together to make the different design of the quilt.

Well, different colored yarns, even the same brand, crochet up differently.

I'm having to redo the red squares because they came out larger than the other colored squares. Yes, I used the same hook.

I don't know why.

The yarn that I'm having to do over is Red Heart Ranch Red. I love the color, but for some reason that particular color is different from the country blue or the beige color of the same brand.

I am very aggravated and frustrated with it.

I intend to finish it, but it sure is giving me headaches.

I hope to be more experienced with sewing it together this time. Many, many years ago I put together a Granny Square afghan and it later came apart.

I threw the thing away and until now I never wanted to do the Granny Square again until I saw the quilt/crochet afghan patterns.

So I intend to do better on this one.

I always measure each square with a tape measure and if it's off, then I redo it with a different hook. I have had the same issue with the Bernat Super Value yarn I am using for my 63 squares afghan. The green is thicker than the blue or brown so I have to use a smaller hook to make the squares come out the right size.

Sometimes the dye used affects the yarn even to a different gauge...if you notice it right off, you can compensate with a different size hook....

I agree. The Red Heart Ranch Red even feels different compared to the country blue or the beige.

I've also discovered that I haven't been being consistent with my crochet technique.

{I really just recently picked up my hook again, after several years, so I'm kind of relearning some things.}

I am determined to finish this afghan, though, I don't think I've ever actually made one for myself, and kept it except for a Granny Square, many years ago. It came apart and I threw it away. I was very discouraged against Granny Squares, up until now and now I've started this " Quiltghan". I intend for this one to not fall apart, EVER. I will make sure of it this time. :yes

Some colors, especially deep, dark ones, do make the yarn just a tad thicker because the yarn is holding so much dye to give it the deep color. You may need to adjust the hook size, or just work a tiny bit more tightly on the dark red yarn.

Archived