Grandma's Little Helper

:(Computer was down yesterday, couldn't come to the ville at all.

Something happened the other day that was so cute, I knew I had to share it with my fellow crocheters. I have been working on a baby blanket that is a gift for a friend of my oldest grandson's mom. Her baby is due in November. My younger grandson was visiting (he turned three in June). I was crocheting and got up and went into the bathroom. When he is visiting, I always tuck my scissors down into a bag, or behind a pillow so he won't get them. But when I came back to the couch, My mom said "He had these, I don't know if he did anything." I felt panic rush through me as I pictured my blanket all cut. I sat down and he came over and excitedly said "I helped-ed you Grandma!" I looked at the blanket and it seemed okay. I asked him what he did and he picked up the ball of yarn and held it up, and there it was, sitting in his little hand, no longer attached to the blanket. He pointed to the dangling end of yarn, and, his cute little face beaming with pride, said "See, right there, I helped-ed you. I fixed-ed it for you Grandma!" I could never get upset with him, I just love him to pieces, so I gave him big hug and thanked him for being such a good helper. Ah, the little ones, aren't they just SO precious? :manyheart

Now, when I get up, I tuck my scissors into my pocket. :lol

:lol my son is three and he loves to help by wrapping my yarn around the leg of the table so that somehow it is impossible to untangle and I usually end up having to cut it into a hundred pieces to get off, or else he finds the scissors and tries to cut it off before I find out. It is so hard to get mad at him when he tells me that the table was cold :rofl kids are cute, I seriously need better hiding places for the scissors, who knew he would find them on top of the fridge???

:lol my son is three and he loves to help by wrapping my yarn around the leg of the table so that somehow it is impossible to untangle and I usually end up having to cut it into a hundred pieces to get off, or else he finds the scissors and tries to cut it off before I find out. It is so hard to get mad at him when he tells me that the table was cold :rofl kids are cute, I seriously need better hiding places for the scissors, who knew he would find them on top of the fridge???

That is so cute! Sometimes Damien will pick up the ball of yarn and say " Oh, a big ball!" and before I can grab it out of his hand, he'll hurl it across the room and then clap his hands and laugh. But he's never been" helpful" with the scissors before. :lol But isn't amazing how smart they are. You think they aren't paying attention, but they don't miss a thing! :)

I had to notice your post about the scissors...and I have a solution. This summer, my family and I visited an amish musuem house (real people do not live there, it is just to kind of show how the Amish live.) In the living room, they had a very clever device: a scissor keeper made out of plastic canvas, right by mom's chair. It was basically a large pouch that hung on the wall. Now that my daughter is getting really mobile, I am thinking of trying to find something like that...maybe a "letter keeper" or something to keep the scissors handy, yet out of reach. If what I tried to describe didn't make sense, let me know and I will try to explain better.

Okay, so after a little googling, I found this pattern. It is not plastic canvas, nor does it hang on the wall, but something like this, hung high out of little "helpers" hands.

http://needlework.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-scissors-keeper/2009/08/22/

Okay, so after a little googling, I found this pattern. It is not plastic canvas, nor does it hang on the wall, but something like this, hung high out of little "helpers" hands.

http://needlework.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-scissors-keeper/2009/08/22/

That is a good idea. I do plastic canvas sometimes. My mom has a lot of plastic canvas books. Maybe I'll look thru those. But I really like the scissor keeper that is on the link you sent . It is beautiful. I think I will try to make it. Thanks for the suggestions.:hug

Archived