A tip for tips

jimbo

I was making some really pointy hooks for slip-stitch crochet the other day and a thought came into my pointy head. I bet there are hooks out there that aren't being used for most stitches because the heads are too pointy. Then I remembered shuddering when I read somewhere about using a nail file to dull hook or needle points. eeeewww...almost gives me goose bumps.

Here's a better way that won't ruin your hook. Get some really fine sandpaper, at least 400 grit. Lay the paper grit side up on a really flat surface and hold it in place with one hand while you PULL the pointy end of the hook across the paper while rotating the hook on its long axis. Don't push the hook.. pushing isn't as accurate as pulling. Don't hold the hook perpendicular to the sandpaper or you'll end up with a flat tip. Angle the hook a little, and spin it while pulling it toward yourself across the sandpaper. You'll end up with a nicely shaped hook tip. If the tip is still too pointy, raise the angle of the hook and repeat the process. The fine paper won't let you make deep scratches that might catch fiber.

Now...If you end up with a funny looking cone at the hook tip, simply tear off a little piece of the sandpaper, hold it in the palm of one hand and press the hook tip against the grit while rotating the hook, the cone shape will soon go away. The soft backing that your palm offers will allow the sandpaper to flex and produce a smooth curve at the hook tip.

NOW here's another tip if you have the opposite problem.. a dull hook that should be pointier. Cinchy. You do the same thing as above only tilt the hook closer to horizontal while you're pulling it across the sandpaper. Just remember to rotate the hook as you pull so you don't form flat spots.

Make sense?

Actually that was VERY INTERESTING! I do not make my own hooks, but I DO LOVE the one that you made for me a few years back, and I use it often! Still this little glimps into the art of making a crochet hook was really cool...thanks for sharing it with us Jimbo!

Thanks Debbie! Just felt sorry for all those lonesome hooks that don't get used because they're too pointy or too dull, but with a little effort could be happily snuggled in someone's hand, making pretty things.

A little addendum... this process can work on plastic hooks too. Metal? Maybe. Its worth a try.

Archived