Crocheting in the Round/Hats

gingerchai

Question

Help!::bang

Everytime I try to crochet "in the round" to make hat the circle never stays flat. Either the edges begin to ruffle or it starts to form a cup (not good when you're trying to make a beret) . I'm following the instructions given in the patterns, but something just isn't working. Any ideas?

gingerbone

4 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

Make sure the pattern really will make a flat round. Sometimes, believe it or not, it's the pattern not the practitioner. ;) After the first round, (12 stitches) my general guideline is two stitches in each stitch for the second round (24 stitches). Third round is two stitches in the same stitch, next is a single stitch around (36 stitches). Fourth round has two single stitches than an increase* stitch, around (48 stitches) Fifth row has three single stitches followed by an increase stitch. Subsequent rows follow the same pattern of one more single stitch followed by an increase stitch.

*increase stitch is two stitches in the same stitch :))

Thanks for all of the advice. It seems as if the problem was a combination of the pattern and the wrong hook size (too big) for the yarn. I started another beret pattern last night and its coming along quite nicely. it's began to cup a little bit, but was ok after I gave it a tug and it flattened right out. when the beret is done i'll post a photo of it.:bounce

gingerbone

Archived