A Question About Felting

I have a question about patterns that require felting. I live in a small town in Arizona and I don't have access to wool. Can the same pattern be made from worsted weight yarn without felting?

I think that you can make the pattern out of any type of yarn you like, but if you follow the pattern exactly, it will be larger than the felted item would be. Felting binds the fibers together and they shrink up a bit. Maybe do a gauge swatch to see if you like the size first before you do an entire project? Just my 2 cents! Hope this helps!

Felting also dramatically changes the look of an item IMO, so your gauge swatch would also be useful to see if you like the appearance of the pattern stitch.

If you wanted to make the pattern and felt it, could you order wool from an online supply and have it delivered to you at home? I am almost housebound and do most of my yarn shopping online, it usually works out well :)

Thanks for the info. I've never felted and never "seen" anything felted (a play on words as I am blind). I can imagine how, on animals especially, the felting would make a big difference. I could order some wool, but budget and such ... Well, I guess I'll try the gauge swatch idea and see if I like it or not. Again, thanks!

Archived