Helps for crocheting with a graph:

MemawBetty

I have tried several times to make an afghan from a graph ,I just haven't got how to change colors when you have 3 or more colors. What does everyone else use to wind their yarn on or in to help keep it from tabgling so bad? I know how to change colors, but I have a terrible looking mess.Could someone give me so hints or pointers? i would surely be thankful.. Memawbetty

I use yarn bobbins, and just make sure that they are not tangled after every couple of rows. Other people I know put the balls of yarn in a waste basket and they say it doesn't get tangled. I haven't tried that yet.

• 3 months later...

I'm working on something that has only 4 colors but the colors change across a row. I'm in the most complex part right now and have 11 color changes.

I'm using several techniques to keep it from being tangled.

You know the really stiff clear plastic that comes with some products? I cut them into a shape that lookes like a capital letter H with the ends of the H curving toward each other to close off the winding space.

For larger areas, I'm keeping balls in knee high hose.

For really small areas (like 20 stitches or less), I wrap around huge bobby pins in a way that the bobby pin can hold the end of the yarn.

I keep all of these from dangling too much by clipping them on to the work area with bobby pins when I'm not actively using them.

Still with all that, I find at the end of every two rows, that I have to detangle before continuing.

It's my first graphghan and I totally did not expect this type of tangling. But it has taught me a lot about planning out colors to reduce the need for as many bobbins.

Archived