I don't quite get this (hat pattern help)

ScrappyGirl

Question

I started a hat pattern and need to redo it because I wound up with too many stitches. This is my first time working in rounds.

Round 5 *Inc, sc* around, 8 times. I have 16 stitches at the start of this round. Does that mean I increase every other stitch?

Round8: *Inc, 2sc* around row 8 times. Do I increase every other stictch on this one too?

Round 11* inc, 3 sc* around. Does this mean I increase every 3rd stitch?

3 answers to this question

Your first round is going to go (2 sc in next st, sc) around, so yes, you double your stitches to 16.

The next round goes (2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st) around. Meaning you increase in every third stitch and end up with 24 stitches.

The last round you posted goes (2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st) around. Meaning you increase in every fourth stitch and end up with 32 stitches.

A good rule of thumb that you will see in most hat patterns, is to increase however many stitches you start with in each round. So if you start with 8 stitches, you'll have 16 in the next round, 24 in the next etc. The way to accomplish that is on your first round do 2 sc in each stitch, than 2 sc in every other stitch, then 2 sc in every 3rd stitch, then every fourth stitch, until you reached the desired width (about 5.5 -6 inches for an adult) and then stop increasing.

Archived