Where to put patterns

I use a three ring binder also. If it's an online pattern I print it out and I make sure the web address is on there. I make my notes on the patterns and when I'm finished with the project I staple two or three strands of the yarn to the pattern. I just write the yarn brand and type on the pattern. I don't have tons of patterns, so this works for me.

anna

I love Firefox's scrapbook extension to hold on to internet patterns until I am ready to print them & crochet them. If I think I'll use the pattern again I file it in a binder. If not, I usually trash it or cut it up to use the backs for scrap paper/notes. I used to use Evernote a lot but it doesn't work right with firefox 3. I need to check to see if there is a newer version out yet because I really enjoyed using it. I prefer to save paper & not print a pattern out until I am 100% sure I will use it. I also transfer patterns to cd occasionally to save permanently. That way if my computer crashed I have the patterns saved on cd. It will come in handy when we have to replace our computer too. I'm in the process of thinning out my magazine/book patterns now because I have way too many & I feel guilty buying more at the thrift store when I have so many already. If I don't use a pattern after a yr or two, I think it's just taking up space but sometimes there is one or two patterns I'd like to save.

I have books and books of patterns. They're on 2 book cases in my "craft" room (which also doubles as a reptile room, as I'm housing my daughter's boyfriend's 2 snakes at the moment).

For downloaded patterns, I save them on a 2g "stick drive", and also in a folder on my hard drive here at work.

I guess I use a combination of things that everyone else has already mentioned.

I use a LARGE 3 ring binder for completed projects- with gauge swatch(not often!), yarn stands, yarn description, brief pattern description/reference, washing instructions, who it was for, dimensions of finished project and a photo. I just keep adding binders as one gets full.

Single page(s) patterns, small leaflets, etc are kept in an accordion file folder tabbed by type: Scarves/hats, afghans, dog sweaters, etc. Books/Ancient Magazines are kept on their shelf.

I use a lot of Stitch 'Dictionaries' for a basic pattern, and fake it from there. I like to make a copy of the page in the book/leaflet/magazine, carry it with the WIP, then file it w/the completed project info in the 3-ring binder.

For online patterns that I find - to make "one day": I print them to a PDF file using a free version of PDF Factory ( http://www.fineprint.com/products/pdffactory/index.html ) then save them in folders by type on my hard drive. I like this method (1) because I don't use paper til I actually use the pattern; (2) I have the pattern even if the site where it was disappears.

I used to use a program called KeyNote for keeping track of everything, but since the switch to Vista x64, I've had to change to a program called MyNotesKeeper (I think it costs about $30, after a 30-day free trial). It's a tabbed notes keeper that lets me keep every trivial bit of info in my life organized in one file. I have one tab for Personal, under it is, among other things, my misc crochet notes. I suppose if I was as prolific as some of ya'll, I'd have a separate Noteskeeper file just for crochet projects, tabbed by type. Anyway, I like the program, and you can insert pictures too.

I would recommend PDF Factory: because it's free, and printing or trying to save website pages sucks! PDF Factory sits with your printers, so you just choose 'Print' from any software/website and select PDF Factory instead of your regular printer. Instead of printing, it opens as a PDF file that you can save to where ever you want. You can't edit anything though. It's useful!

Best Regards to All,

Betrock

• 2 weeks later...

I use 3 ring binders with the page protectors. Also if I have any leaflets I just tuck them into the front and back pockets on the inside of the binder. I have binders for every subject...doilies, baby, toys, household, afghans, misc, etc. I love to leaf through my patterns in the page protectors. I love the way they feel. Ok, I am weird BUT organized.

Archived