Which stitches use less yarn?

MarvieN

Question

OK here's a question... I've been wondering about it for a few days now, and noticed in Swayde's post that she asked almost the same questions...

Which stitches use less yarn? Or is there much difference? Does hook size make a difference?

I have lots of medium and small size balls of yarn that I could use up on various projects but I'd hate to run out of a color halfway through something. Plus some yarns just come in smaller skeins/balls.

Are there any tips out there?

Thanks,

Marvie

4 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI don't know, but I guess if one took a small amount of yarn, say 3-5 yards and made a swatch using different stitches one could see.... I suspect it's not gonna be that much different as when one uses more yarn to make a stitch, the stitch is bigger and covers more area....

May not be true at all. I haven't had any :coffee yet this morning.

Hook size should absolutely make a difference, smaller hooks make smaller stitches and bigger hooks make bigger stitches.

I never have experimented to see what stitches use more yarn than others. I do a lot of :fc sometimes, but usually am pretty lucky. It'll be interesting to see if anyone has some answers. :thinking2

I'm not sure what stitches use less yarn, but I do know making a round item, rather than square, uses less! For instance, if you make a square dishcloth and a round one, the round will use less...makes sense, there are no corners! But when I was making a ton of dishcloths, I figured out I could get more cloths out of 1 ball by making them round. Dar

I'm still new to crochet, but I found that single crochet uses less yarn regardless of the needle size. For example, I made a vertical length scarf that was well over 6 ft long (i'm 5'4" and the scarf on the fold came down past my knee caps). I was doing hd crochet and ran out of yarn 20 to 30 stitches from completetion :(:bang :mad and had to take it out!!:loco:ohdear so I had to suck it up, take it out and :knit do a stitch that would allow me to complete it all the way through (especially since I was using two colors):clap :cheer2 . With that said, I was able to finish it with sc and had quite a bit of "scrap yarn left.

If I can think of any other things I have done, i will post.

Archived