Posting a pattern from an old label?

I have a copyright question that I would like to find out about before doing it. I have a Christmas Stocking pattern that I got from the label of an old skien of yarn. If I posted the pattern itself along with where I got the pattern from, is that infringment? The yarn label is Lasayelle ( I think) and the pattern is called Bonus Christmas Stocking Pattern. Thanks for any help.

I am asking because this is not my pattern and I don't want to get into any trouble.

Yes, it would be infringement. That would be like typing out the text of a Harry Potter book on your website for everyone to read for free. Just because it's old doesn't mean the copyright has expired. The only way you could do so legitimately is to get permission from the copyright holder to do so.

All I can think of is to read all the fine print on the yarn label to see if gives you some clues as to the identity of the yarn company, and do some googling. I believe 'sayelle' was the trademark term for the orlon acrylic fiber, and more than 1 yarn company used it.

If nothing else, you could post a pic of your stocking with a pic of the (non pattern side) of the label, in case someone wanted to track down the pattern.

Archived