how to work BEHIND a stitch

cherinec5

Question

ok so i just started working on a baby blanket from the leisure arts just ducky baby afghans and i just finished row 1 and it was fine. its mostly like 3dc skip 2 and repeat blah blah. well the second row starts out with joining with a slip st (know how) ch 2, sk next 3 dc and tr in sp before next dc, ch 2 and so far so good. THEN it says working behind tr just made tr in space before 3 skipped dc (cross st made). work 4 cross sts.

ok so im trying that but it doesn't look like a cross just like a v st. ok what the heck am i not understanding lol? I just found out i'm 5 weeks pregnant and i'm feeling really dumb looool. is that weird? it didn't happen with my first child. anyways any help will be appreciated.

thanks!

2 answers to this question

In my experience, it often won't look "right" until you work at least one more stitch over it. I've never done a cross stitch, but that's the case with cables and it's pretty much the same idea. If you're still not sure, here are a few links to instructions - they're all from CPC.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-x-stitch.htm

http://www.******/crochet/crostiand.html

http://crochet.about.com/library/blcrosseddc.htm

Good luck and congratulations!

"ch 2, sk next 3 dc and tr in sp before next dc, ch 2 and so far so good. THEN it says working behind tr just made tr in space before 3 skipped dc (cross st made). work 4 cross sts"

Not dumb question. This is not exactly a common stitch you see every other pattern.

Okay, you have 3 dc stitches in the previous row. In your current row, you chain 2. Then you count from the base of your stitch that you chained 2 from: 1 dc. 2 dc. 3 dc. ch 2 space - here you work your first treble stitch in the 2nd ch stitch from the last dc.

[i'm stating specific chain stitches so you get the idea.]

Cool - you've done well so far. Now you need to make a second treble st.

Let's pause and think here. Normally you'd go on to the left for your next stitch - in other words, the 3rd ch st or the next space to the left of the base of your first treble st.

But we're not being anywhere near normal here!!

The directions say to go to the back behind your treble st and do a second treble stitch. In other words... you need to cross over the existing treble st to make the second treble st behind/to the right of your first treble - in ch stitch #1! In other words, your second treble st is taking 1 step backwards.

So your first treble goes where the 2nd treble st should go; and the 2nd treble goes where the first treble st should go.

Hope this helps,

Dot

So it takes you 2 stitches to make this cross-over... the first one in the second stitch from the base of your last stitch, then the second treble in the first stitch that you'd just skipped.

Archived