Felting question

faeriegirl1972

Question

i have lovely vintage wool that i want to make into a purse. but i want the bag to be felt but i still want have pockets. do i make the pockets separate felt them then sew them on. If i want to put purse handles (like the wooden or plastic ones) would you put the handles first then felt or attach after its been felted.

thankls:think

2 answers to this question

I don't know if this is any help... but I've just designed a bag that I'm going to whip up and felt in the weekend (if all goes according to plan). I'd planned to sew the pocket in before felting (I'm sure I've read somewhere that that's the best way) and I'm attaching the handles afterwards (they are made of wood, so I wouldn't like to see them swell up in hot water)

I'll let you know how it goes, and if no one else has replied to you by then, maybe it will help (?)

Nataleeza is right -- Attach the pockets first (they may stick to the purse a bit, but you will be able to easily open them). The felting will hide your sewing stitches, and it will look like the pocket and the purse are the same piece of fabric! Also, sew the handles on after you felt so that you can figure out exactly where to place them. Good luck!

Archived