Sad about Etsy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother in law have different thoughts on this. While she ahs a store on Ebay that she sells all sorts of handmade baby items, and blankets, and such. I understand how much work goes into these Items as I have made many of her patterns myself, so I am not begrudging her the high prices. I however am one of those people who sell their work for lower prices. If I cannot think of a suitable friend or family member to give it to of course.

I just hate that she fills this entire room of her house, with boxes full of things that would bring joy to other people, could they afford them. I crochet becauseI enjoy it, and other people enjoy my finished projects. So I guess that is why I have to sell lower priced items.

I learned a long time ago to say "No" to custom requests from friends/family. I decided I wanted to cultivate a business and not a craft-farm.

Time invested in one place is time away from another. The time you spend "answering the mail" is time away from pursuing other creative efforts that serve your ultimate goal (whatever that may be). And you know you're not getting paid what you are worth and what the product is worth. All that breeds resentment.

When I was selling jewelry, people would ask me to make something, but in another color, or with a different gemstone, or gold instead of silver. I nearly drove myself nuts. And never really got paid for my aggravation.

I started saying NO and sending them to my website, which at the time, I tried to update daily. I told them that I had a long list of new projects and items to create and I would add their request to the list, so in the meantime, they could search my website for something else they may like, or I would send them an email when their item came up in my queue.

9 times out of 10, by the time I got back around to making something in a different color or whatever they requested, they had forgotten about it! People will ask you to do a million different things just to see if you'll say yes. You don't have to.

That really freed me and it helped me stay un-mad at my friends/family. :lol

They know this is BUSINESS for me, and not personal. And they are all thrilled at holiday/birthday time when they get that special something they thought I would never make them as a GIFT.

When I started crocheting/knitting again in earnest, I got tons of requests. I simply said "I don't knit/crochet for money." Since January, I have been making items weekly and tossing them into my Christmas Closet. I intend to have a party and invite loved ones over with everything on display (scarves, mittens, fat-bottom bags, afghans, shawls, hats, etc) and letting them select their gift (using a number-system, cuz I don't want fights! LOL!!!) This worked really well last year with my family for Christmas when I made over 75 pairs of earrings and had them displayed on the Dining Room table. Each person got to pick 2 pairs. They want me to do it again! LOL!!! We'll see. ;)

So all that said, you have to get firm in your mind what you are and are NOT willing to do. People won't hate you or disown you if you tell them no. They will start respecting your craft and your time, however when they see you treating it with deference and respect it deserves!

Absolutely! I make candles and soap---you have to set limits or it gets to the point where its like work instead of doing something you love. Then again, when you market your products, seems like the "familY" or "friends" don't hesitate to pay above average price for something "store bought", but would like you to give them your product. After putting myself through the wringer to satisfy "custom" orders, etc, I decided enough was enough.

Now, if they want what I design and make, it is on my terms. HOw about the ones who don't crochet or make candles or soap, they're so willing to tell YOU how to do it:eek

I crochet and I also occasionally buy crocheted items from nuns who make them and I've had to tell them that their time and their yarn justifies charging a higher price, one of them makes the most beautiful baby afghans and booties; I've persuaded her that she is entitled to a better price, sometimes people just take advantage of them, but lately, that has not been the case, they just weren't aware of what they could be receiving.

Archived