Tarot de Marseille Case

This is my first pattern that I am sharing. If I posted something wrong please let me know! I have not tested it. Just wrote what I did as I did it!

Sore

Tarot de Marseille Case

Created by Rebecca Van Drunen

May 13, 2008

© All Rights Reserved

th_TarotCasewithTarotdeMarseille.jpg

th_TarotCase-FrontwithDeckClosed.jpg

You may use this pattern for personal use or for gifts only. Please do not repost this pattern. For any other use, please ask for my permission first.

Easy or Beginner level.

Abbreviations:

Sl st: slip stitch

Sc: single crochet

Ch: chain

Beg: beginning

Dec: decrease

R: row

St: stitch

Yo: yarn over

Sc Dec: single crochet decrease

Used: 5 mm hook (H), WW cotton (Chocolate OMB by Bernat shown in picture.)

Gauge: 1 inch= 5 rows, 4 stitches

Case fits the Tarot de Marseille deck. Or any deck measuring: 2 ½ inches wide x 1 inch high x 4 ¾ inches long.

Stitch Instructions:

Sc Dec: to do this you need to insert hook into stitch, yo and pull through, insert hook into next stitch, yo and pull through, yo and pull through all three hoops.

Special Notes:

This case is made without tying off. I will include guidelines to make it in separate pieces and to change the size at the end of the pattern. Do not join or end unless otherwise stated. This case fits very snug. It will stretch out a bit to be a comfortable fit by about the third use!

Base:

Ch. 9

R1: Sc 2nd ch from hook. Sc in next 7 st. Ch. 1. Turn. (8)

R2 to R3: Sc next 8 st. Ch. 1. Turn. (8)

R4: Mark beg of row. Sc next 7 st. 3 sc in last st. Sc down side (2 sc), 3 sc in corner, work along wrong side of chain, sc in each (7 sc), 3 sc in corner, sc upside (2 sc), 2sc in last stich (this is the very fist stitch of the beg of r4) (29)

Body:

R5: Mark beg of row. Work in back loops only. Sc all around. (29)

R6 to R23: Mark beg of row. Work in both loops. Sc all around. On last row join with sl st to marked stitch. (29)

Flap:

* Slide your deck in the case so it’s even with the bottom. Mark the stitches on the edge of the corner of the deck on both sides.* Mine was the 1st st and the 12th st.

R24 to R26: Sc in each stitch from first marker to last marker. Ch. 1. Turn. (12)

R27: Work in Front loop only. Sc each st. Ch.1. Turn. (12)

R28 to R31: Work in both loops. Sc each st. Ch. 1. Turn. (12)

R32: Work in back loop only. Sc each st. Ch. 1. Turn (12)

R33 to R37: Work in both loops. Sc each st. Ch. 1. Turn. (12)

R38: Sc dec, sc next 8, sc dec. Ch. 1. Turn (10)

R39: Sc dec, sc next 6, sc dec. Ch. 1. Turn. (8)

* Sew on button. You may have to adjust the ch size according to where you put your button.*

R40: Sc next 4, ch 6, sc next 4, sc down side of flap (14), (optional: you can put a sc into the nearest sc of the body to hold the corner down or sew this later) turn, sc back up side to ch (18), sc in chain (6), sc next 4, sc down side of flap (14) (optional: you can put a sc into the nearest sc of the body to hold corner down or sew this later), turn, sc back to ch (18), sc in ch (6). Sl st to next and tie off.

Weave in end.

Alternatives:

To make as separate pieces:

Tie off after R4.

For body, chain 30, sc in second ch from hook, then work rows accordingly. However instead of working in a continuous round, you can ch 1 and turn at the end of each row. This would make sewing the button on a bit easier! Tie off on R23.For Flap, ch 13, sc in second ch from hook, the work rows accordingly. You would then have to stitch all the pieces together and sew up the side.

For different sizes:

The bottom looks very small but making it fit the width exactly gives you too big of a body. So to make a case for a bigger deck, only add one st to the base at a time. You might have to work up to row 6, and try to fit the deck in to see if you need to add more stitches to the base. Add or decrease rows to the body by fitting in the deck and make the flap according to the stitch markers. Please note: increasing the base means increasing the amount of stitches in the body!

Archived