anglalyn

Help: Suggestions for connecting limbs on a stuffed animal project

Question

Hi everyone, Im new here. I recently started a project, my very first design, on a stuffed elephant for my son. My problem is that im trying to decide if i should attach the legs as I go, or finish the body and attach them afterwards. I am imagining that if I wait and attach them later it wont look as nice but will be much easier. Anyone made a project like this that can help?

thanks

angie

2 answers to this question

it won't look as nice if the top of the leg is folded flat and sewed on. to remedy this you can end the top of the leg in a round sort of circle shape or put a shirt over the elephant to cover up where the legs are sewn on.

It may not look as nice if you sew them on afterwards, but you can create a toy with movable arms and legs that way. Using a long length of yarn, attach one end to the upper arm/leg then pull the yarn all the way through to the other side of the doll. Now attach the other arm/leg to the yarn and pull the yarn back through to the other side. Repeat it a few times until it feels secure. This also allows it to be pose-able on a shelf and looks great "sitting". My little cousin loves the bears I make him that can move.