Cleaning up a big thriftstore find

While I was browsing my local thriftshop and I came across a yarn treasure! Nestled in some plastic crates and sheltered under some stray Revere Ware lids were 17 skeins of worsted weight, aran colored, acrylic yarn. They were K-Mart brand and I wonder if they are old because I am not aware that K-Mart sold yarn these days.

Seventeen skeins of generic WW yarn all with the same dye lot numbers. I could make a really big afghan with this.

The one thing that prevented me from buying them all was the dirt factor. Is there a way to wash skeins? I really don't know where this stuff has been.

I know lots of you crocheters exchange yarns and pick some skeins at yardsales , tag sales and thriftshops. Do you use them as is or is there some way to wash the yarn before you make something.

You can clean up a skein by winding it into a loose skein, tying it loosely in several places and washing it gently by hand. I try to keep the skein shape as I wash and rinse, then hang it over a towel. You can roll it up in the towel for a while to absorb extra moisture, then let it air dry. I've done one or two, but I don't think I'd have the patience for 17 of them.

I run into K-Mart yarn once in a while. I think it's pretty old, but it always works out okay.

I've heard the panty hose method is pretty effective. The coordinator for an afghan charity I work with had a fire in his apartment where he stored all the donated yarn and completed blankets and he washed unused skeins in panty hose (knee highs work well) with baking soda and a little vinegar.

Tandi

The problem with washing the original skein that way isn't the washing, but the drying. Can it be thrown in the dryer? If not, the center is going to take an awfully long time to dry, particularly if you don't have a nice airy place. A reworked skein can be manipulated easily to turn the inner moist parts out to dry. Just a suggestion.

Archived