The Miracle Worker

diamond

I know it's corny, but I have always loved this movie and today as I was working on "M" it came on satellite. So I listened & 'watched' while I crocheted. You know the movie: 1962 b/w flick with Patty Duke as Helen Keller and Anne Bancroft as Ann Sullivan. Here's the cool part.....about 2/3 into the movie, shortly before Helen learns to learn and says "water" for the first time, Ms. Sullivan & Helen are in the creek splashing about in the water. Right after that seen, they are back in the house and Ms. Sullivan is teaching Helen more sign language. Ms. Sullivan is signing into Helen's hand "c_r_o_s_.... c_r_o_s.... how do you spell crochet? s_e_w"....I got a big kick out of it because I've seen this movie hundreds of times and never caught that part before. Ms. Sullivan had a hard time spelling words & was always looking them up in the dictionary before she taught them to Helen. This time she didn't look up 'crochet' but then couldn't figure out how to spell it correctly so she changed it to 'sew'.

If you get a chance to see this movie again, pay attention. Like I said, it's about 2/3 thru the movie shortly after the creek scene. I thought you all might get a kick out of this as I found it very funny. I'm sure there was more crocht related clothing in this movie but I wasn't really watching it, was more listening & peeking now & then.

Archived