Tunsican Info

I am not a very good speller, but anyway. I have been trying to find books and the needles for this Tunsican technique for quit some time now. Anni'e Attic has the books, but not the needles. Ebay, has the needles, yet they are cable. Which I don't handle them very well. Any other place that I could look into! Thanks

Annie

Tunisian hooks, also called afghan hooks, come in a varity of sizes and styles. A tunisian hook can look like a regular crochet hook, except: it will be longer ( 12,14,16, inches) and will have a flat disc on one end, like a knitting needle would. They can also be the cable type: solid hook part at one end, a length of flexible cable and the disc on the other end to keep stitches from falling off. The cabel varity is used when making a wide item ;it allows for more stitches at one time, and because it is flexible, the entire weight of the item is not being held on the solid part of the hook the whole time it is being crocheted.

Joann has the best variety of sizes of afghan hooks...not in the store, but on the internet. Sometimes they have a few in the store, but their website carries Boye and Susan Bates in all their forms...cabled, etc. They may have some by Clover, but I usually prefer the Susan Bates afghan hooks because you can get the 10 inch ones. The 14 inch ones are uncomfortable for me to use.

http://www.joann.com/

I usually access them from the My Points website. That way I get points when I make a purchase. The points can be saved up towards gift cards usable at some of My Points merchants. Just go to http://www.mypoints.com and sign up if you haven't already.

Beverly

MooMoo on here may also be a good source of information. She has a thread in the CAL section called "who wants to do a graphghan tunusian style" w/ lots of info on it.

Sandy

The book 101 Easy Tunisian Stitches from Annies Attic is a really good book, IMO. Also, the Hobby Lobby near me carries the type of hooks you are looking for, so if you have one near you, you might want to try there. My local Joanns carries one size (K) in that type also.

Archived