Mohair Mayhem!

Hi all,

am a newbie here.... just wondering whether anyone else has similar experience...

I'm new to crochet but have knit for years. I've nearly pulled my hair out trying to crochet a simple spiral kit scarf as a farewell present for a friend (*I'm moving back to the US once house sells - hooray! no more translating crochet terms! :lol) but the mohair wool is a nightmare. The 2nd row was a nightmare to get into the chain, the chain itself was impossible to count (and it's long!) and when I decided to Frog, and start over, it broke after about 6 stitches and is knotting so I've flung it across the room and started fresh from the ball. Should just about have enough to finish!!

Is this a crochet thing? Should I just stick to nice neat wools and cottons, & cord ? I also tried to make the Erica Knight or whatever her name is Essential Crochet spiral scarf with some of those funky fashion yarns that were twisted ribbons and wools and my family said it looked like "Dinosaur Droppings" ...nice.... took me two whole evenings, but then I'm still slow...

I can see that the stitching is so much part of the beauty of crochet that simple yarns might be better - and have seen very little use of funky wools in my searching on the net.

any thoughts or advice? am I doing something wrong?

Amy

ps scarf going much better thanks..

hook size may have alot to do with it....... if its too small of a hook ( or if your tension is super tight ....like mine!) you may need to go up a size to do your foundation. i hope that the scarf quits giving you fits!

as you are a newbie...i would say stick with some nice SMOOTH worsted until you get the hang of it. least, that is how i was taught.....

Thanks Betty. It's a Sirdar kit with a large (10?) hook. I think I"m generally pretty loose (tension that is - LOL) but am going to stick to smoothies in the future. xa

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think it is very hard to crochet with fuzzy yarn. Each stitch is like a series of knots in a way, so the fuzz gets tied up in itself. I am a fairly experienced crocheter and I don't use fuzzy yarns much if at all. As you say, being able to see the stitch itself is what makes crochet attractive.

I agree with Betty that a larger hook might help a lot when you have decided to use a fuzzy yarn.

I agree with the others...it probably is a yarn. I have trouble with say, lion brands homespun...I just can't see where my stitches are. Keep practicing on smoother yarn...you'll get it.

Archived