Electronic copyright question

If I purchased a crochet pattern in PDF format (or other electronic format) and I don't want it, and I've never actually made the item, can I give the pattern to someone else?

It's pretty clear that if it's a paper pattern, that I can give away the entire paper pattern. But I am really curious about the electronic format patterns. I've searched the web, and have not found an answer that addresses my specific question.

Thankyou.

In my book - a copyright is a copyright, whether tangible (paper/book) or intangible (digital pattern) and should not be infringed upon.

But if you're giving it away ... that's legal.... isn't that considered

a gift? As long as it wasn't sent to more than one person, I don't see a

problem with it. But that's just me.... I am looking more into that right now.

Peggy

To the best of my knowledge, and I'm not an attorney, it would be okay to give that pdf file to ONE person, but only if you totally deleted any electronic copies you had stored anywhere (computer hard drive, flash drive, CD-ROM, etc.) as well as any print copies you had made. As long as you retain even one copy of the pattern, you cannot give the original pdf file to anyone else.

If you want a true legal opinion on this, you'll need to talk with an attorney who specializes in intellectual property.

Of course, the best thing to do would be just to contact the person you purchased the pattern from, and ask what they prefer you do.

Just because you purchased that particular pattern doesn't mean that you must use it. You in particular are not recorded as owning it. 100 or 1000 other people may buy that same pattern.

Many people buy patterns as gifts for friends and relatives. If you wish to give it to someone else, you may do so. You are not under any obligation or contract to use it yourself if you do not wish to do so.

Just because you purchased that particular pattern doesn't mean that you must use it. You in particular are not recorded as owning it. 100 or 1000 other people may buy that same pattern.

Many people buy patterns as gifts for friends and relatives. If you wish to give it to someone else, you may do so. You are not under any obligation or contract to use it yourself if you do not wish to do so.

Just clarifying: If you give the pdf pattern to someone else, you have to make sure you are not keeping any copies (electronic or printed) for yourself.

Archived