Sewing bag after felting

oohisay

Hi there,

I'm making a felted clutch and am slightly nervous as I've never felted before. My major concern, however, is that the pattern tells me to sew the bag together AFTER felting. Does this mean I should use thread rather than yarn to sew it together?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm making a felted clutch and am slightly nervous as I've never felted before. My major concern, however, is that the pattern tells me to sew the bag together AFTER felting. Does this mean I should use thread rather than yarn to sew it together?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

That's really wierd. I've done many bags and have always put them together before felting. Unless the seams are some sort of design feature you are going to have very thick seam lines. I have seen bags where they are sewn so the seams are on the outside, and are part of the design. Is it possible to post a picture of the purse in the pattern? What seams need to be done... is it a long rectangle and you just sew the sides?

Joan

I know that the bags in the Pursenalities books are often sewn together after felting (both in the knit and the crochet books), and she recommends using matching embroidery floss to sew with. Personally, though, I've always sewn the pieces together BEFORE felting. If a pronounced seam is part of the design, you could sc the seams together on the outside using two strands of yarn held together and then felt.

Hi again,

It did seem weird to me to sew it up afterwards. I got the pattern from the Bernat yarn website: http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/image/image_2596.jpg

It is a very simple pattern, and I can't imagine that sewing the sides together before felting could be a problem--it would likely make it sturdier, no?

Although, I just looked at the picture again, and there does seem to be a "stitching motif"--at least on the flap. I suppose this is from sewing a lining in, however. Still, my sewing skills are even worse than my felting skills, so I'd prefer to do something that would not draw attention to my stitching.

Thanks again.

I've made a few and have sewn most after felting. I choose matching thread and sew the seams on my sewing maching. The stitches pretty much get lost in the felted "fabric". It's very sturdy too! Yes, it's a long rectangle and you sew up the seams. I'm new, so I am just past the waiting period and I think I can now post pictures. When I figure out how to do so, then I'd love to show mine off to you guys.

Hello there,

I'm making the Seaside Coat from Interweave Crochet Magazine, Autumn 2007 issue. it does say "sew after felting" too. There's going to be a few yards of hand sewing to work, and I don't have a sewing machine. The seams are on the inside and they are meant to be noticeable. Can anybody advice me on what stitch to use or how to work it? :think

I have never made a felted project before and I am a bit nervous. It's supposed to be only "lightly felted" and then sown. Can anybody help me a bit? I'm using Cascade 220, a very large hook and very open work. I've made two swatches. The first was too felted, (95º, long programme) the other one was still more felted (60º cotton prewash. Took ages! --I know, I know :blush). I have a front load washing machine so I can't stop the programme in the middle. What should I do? Should I wash it at low temperature (40º) several times, until I get some felting, or should I go for 60º on a short programme, or what? :eek

I'm very nervous! It's a big project,a lot of yarn imported from the US and... (I was going to say many hours of work but, to be honest, this project is completed in a breeze. Hooray!)

Many thanks everybody. :D:waving

Archived