Different yarn for different items...

Hey all-

Just a quick question or two as I look thru the finished crocheted galleries. What is the best yarn to use for different items. Clothing, dish cloths, amigurumi, etc.

Thanks!

It is really personally preference for most of it. But I can almost swear that most crocheters would prefer the heavier cotton (not thread) for dish or wash cloths. As far as amigurumi or any stuffed animal it could be sport weight, ww or I even like some of the mohair or fun furs for that. Clothing, anything and everything depending on what you are making. My own favorites are Caron simply soft, a soft wool for warmth, heavy cotton or thread for coolness, and baby yarn (it doesn't have to be just for babies). I prefer working with smaller hooks. Those who like a fast project with Large hooks will recommend other yarns.

If you mean name brands, again it is preference and affordability. And some of us have allergies to different products. I and my daughter itch and get hives from Red Heart cheaper yarns, but have no problems with the other Red Heart products (at least not yet). I love wool, but have a friend who can't get near it without itching. Thread is the best for fancy fine needlework like doilies and edgings, but lately the thread patterns have been made up with heavier yarn to create some lovely blankets and shawls.'

It is all a matter of trial and error.

generally I go by what the pattern calls for, unless it doesn't matter...dishcloths tho you want some cotton in them; acrylic won't be as absorbant. Baby blankets, you can use baby yarn or sport weight or worsted...that is up to you. Where gauge doesn't matter, you can pretty much do what your heart desires.

Archived