Baby Blocks

happytee40

I have a pattern book a Leisure Arts Publication Knit along with Debbie Maccomber The Shop on Blossom Street. I want to try the baby blocks pattern on page 6 in the pattern the pattern calls for medium/worsted weight yarn 4 ply, in the pattern book they use Bernat Satin. I have 4 skeins on TLC Baby 3 ply sport weight. In the pattern you use 29" or 36" size 8(5mm) or size to needed gauge. My question is can I use my yarn with the same size needle for this pattern? I have a 29" size 8 circular needle. the yarn I have calls for size 6 (4 mm). Should I find cicular needles in the size the size my yarn calls for or can I use the size from the pattern and have a afghan that looks good?

Theresa, you could use the 5mm needles with your yarn but the blanket would be a more open pattern, if you use the 4mm that your yarn calls for the blanket would be smaller, I'm not sure what size it says the blanket is, it works basically the same as crochet, if you use a different hook the size of the item will be different. Hope this helps, unless someone can explain it better. :think

Yes, you can use those size needles on sport-weight yarn. You'll end up with a thinner and more drapey fabric than in the pattern, since your yarn is lighter than worsted weight. Also, your blanket may be smaller than the one in the pattern, depending on your gauge. If that's an issue, you could try knitting with two strands of yarn held together to see if that works better. Doing a gauge swatch of that may be a good idea so you can see how it would work beforehand. Hope this helps. :yarn

Archived