Hook help

cmartin398

Question

I am a new crocheter and I bought a beaded scarf pattern kit. The kit included the yarn and the beads. It said to use a Steel # 7 to put the bead on the end of the hook, then put a yarn look on the hook and pull through the bead. So I had a #7 Boyle hook, but the bead is not fitting on the end. Is a steel #7 hook different from a regular #7 hook that I bought at the store.

Thanks, Cindy

5 answers to this question

Is a steel #7 hook different from a regular #7 hook that I bought at the store.

What is the mm size on your #7 hook?

Steel hooks are used for thread crochet, and a #7 hook is somewhere between 1.65mm and 1.5mm. It's pretty small... and some beads won't fit over certain types because of the shape of the hook.

You could use a piece of beading wire to string the bead on, if you have some of that around and the hook you have isn't working.

Jess, my 7 hook is 1.65 mm.

So does that mean I need to find a smaller #7 hook?

No, that's the right #7 size (#7 steel hooks are usually 1.5 to 1.65mm).

Do you have another steel hook of say, size #8 or higher (smaller hook, bigger number, smaller mm size)? That might work.

Is the hook only used to put the beads on, or do you also work with the hook in the pattern?

The smaller hook is only used to put the bead on.

If that's the case, you could do a number of things (not sure which will work for you with however that pattern is worked):

Thread beads on with a beading needle; some beading wire looped around a bend in the yarn, then used to work onto yarn/thread; a smaller steel hook; a dab of glue/nail polish on the yarn/thread (this won't work if this is a pattern where you put the beads on while working instead of before you start crocheting)... I think other people use some other methods.

I hope this helps and you find a way! good luck! :)

Archived