Yarn winder, how many oz.

tigermom

I just got a yarn winder and can't wait to get all my partial skeins done. Is there a way you can tell how many oz, you have in one of the little cakes the winder makes? Another question. How many oz can you put in one cake? I have some of Joannes 11 oz skeins and just wondered how many cakes I should put it in. Thanks.

Well I thought "just try it" duh.... I did an 11 oz skein of Joannas Sensations rainbow classic brushed yarn. It ended up being 5 cakes so I guess each cake would be approx. 2 oz! It's a 4 ply yarn. I wound right to the last line on the base. Maybe those lines represent number of oz?? I'll have to do some research. If you have any yarn that you have to wind into balls this thing is great. I would recoment it to anyone. I remember my grandmother having one back in the 70's, so they have been around for quite some time. I got mine from Joanne's on line, it's a Royal brand and cost just under 40 bucks. Well worth it.

I think the ball winders do about 2 - 3oz of yarn in each "cake" depending on the type of yarn youre winding. I saw a ball winder in a shop not too long ago that did 8 - 10 oz balls, but it was $120! Doesnt mean I dont still want it... just means I have to wait longer to get it. ;)

It would depend how tightly you wind. Don't go too tight cause it will 'stretch' the yarn out a bit. You can always weigh the yarn cakes in a kitchen scale if you have one. If you don't, they're cheap enough in dollar stores.

Archived