Behind the cable stiches

Anya

Question

Hey everybody, I'm starting a new project and it's something totally new for me - I'm making a cable scarf+mittens+hat. I tried to find the answer to my question on this web site but with no luck...

Here is the question: when making cables (or the ones that say FPtr around the hdc two rows below or FPtr around the FPtr two rows below, etc, hdc in next 3 sts.) do I hdc in the st that wasn't worked during the FPtr or do I skip that st? In the scarf pattern (that's the one I started with and everything else seems pretty easy) I keep working the rows in pattern and when I get to the end of first repetition I keep coming up short on hdc's. It almost looks like my work got narrower toward the top, like I have decreased or something. If what I posted isn't understandable, let me know, I'll try to post a picture. Thanks all!

20 answers to this question

this is row 9 worked. The fptr is going into the fptr from 2 rows down.

100_0130.jpg

this one is the hdc right after the fptr. The hole you should put it into is almost covered up by the post st.

100_0131.jpg

also at the ends of the row........... instead of only using the last st for one st you are really going to make 2 st in it to give you the count needed for the st on this one.

are you skipping the st where you are doing the post st and putting the hdc in the next st or are you putting the hdc in the top holes where you did the post st?

I'm putting the hdc in the next stich after making the FPtr thus my initial question, should I put the hdc in the stich behind the FPtr or leave that one unworked and move onto the next stich...

are you skipping the st where you are doing the post st and putting the hdc in the next st or are you putting the hdc in the top holes where you did the post st?

I had some problems like this to when doing the men's cable hat from Crochet Garden. I found after completing the FP stitch, I was not putting the next stitch into the very next stitch in the row below. I found I was skipping that stitch. Look carefully for the next stitch after your FP stitch - you might have to kinda push the FP stitch over and out of the way. And count how many stitches you are supposed to have between the FP stitches - are you short of hdc stitches between the FP stitches?

yeah, that answered my quetion, however :think that's what I was doing and I was coming up really short after completing the first repeat.

So anyone have any idea as to what I might be doing wrong?

ok sorry I was looking at the hat. :blush

Each row has 16 st plus your ch2 I am guessing they are considering that a st because after row 5 your actual st that you make are going to be 16. so you still won't be working the hdc behind the post st. They will count for their own st there. better? :blush

yeah but to start you ch 18, I'm not sure about the 59 like you mentioned earlier. Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier... Eagles game was on :)

Yeah, it's the one with "bobble" stich.

ok for each row you should have 59 st. No you do not put the hdc behind the post st. I added up 4 rows of the pattern and each row has the 59 st.

At teh end of the rows you are supposed to do a post st around the last st are you leaving that off some of them?

Also when doing post st they will sometimes "pinch" together so it is really important to count your st each row. :)

HTH.

I would make the 12 mos size that way the little one has some growing room.

Are you counting your st after every row? Also if this is a one sided scarf it may be that you will work the hdc behind the post st so that the back is neater.

If you give us a few rows of the pattern or if there is a web site to look at we may be able to help you a little better.

I'm actually crocheting out of the Simply Creative Crochet magazine.It's the December 2006 one with the ever - adorable santa suit that I will also start very soon. I came up a lot os st's short, seemed like every couple rows I lost a st somehow.

Ohh yeah and about the santa suit......the directions are written for sizes 6 mos. and 12 mos. I will be making it for an 8 mos. old baby, what directions should I follow to make it fit better?

ok are you doing these from crochetgarden? If so there is a help forum for any kind of help you need. :) If you are it is usually very good about telling you if they need to be behind the post st or not. Also if these are the ones you are working send me a email and I can try to help more cause I have all of those patterns and I can look at mine so I know a little more what you are talking about. :)

How many hdc are you coming up short?

Also when you are working the hdc and post......... remember when working the st that the "hole" before the actual st is what you are going to work the hdc into. So if you aren't missing too many st this may be what you are messing up on and working the sat in the "hole" behind the post of that st.

Archived