Concerto Shawl Question

hookdonU

Question

Hi hooky friends,

I am working this pattern: http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/shawls/concerto-shawl-pattern.html

I am on the 2nd row and getting lost. Here's what's throwing me:

2nd Row: Dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in same space, ch 1, dc in same space, ch 1, dc in next dc, * ch 1, 3 dc with ch 1 between each dc in next dc (shell), ch 1, dc in next dc, repeat from * once, * * ch 1, popcorn st in next dc (popcorn st: 6 dc in same space, drop loop from hook, insert hook in 1st dc, pick up loop and pull through), ch 2, popcorn st in next dc, ch 2, popcorn st in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, * ch 1, shell in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, repeat from * twice, repeat from * * 3 times, ending last repeat with ch 1, skip 1 st of end ch, dc in next st, ch 4, turn

My question is when I get to the repeat from ** 3 times, does it want me to repeat from that 1st asterisk the portion that says ch 1, shell, ch 1 dc in next dc, repeat OR from the 2nd asterisk??? I have frogged this row a few times now b/c I am getting lost.

4 answers to this question

I think it is telling you to simply repeat the popcorn sequence, from the **: i.e. where it begins: "ch 1, popcorn st in next dc (popcorn st...etc". You make 3 popcorns, and then do the shell stitch bit of the pattern.

It's a bit confusing, the way it's written, but I think that's because the directions for actually making the popcorn are inserted in the text. A modern pattern would give all the abbreviations and instructions for special stitches neatly at the beginning, and then you could see more clearly what you had to do.

Hope I've helped!

It's a very pretty stole.

Thanks, that's the way I understood but I wasn't sure the way I understood it was correct. It looks to me as though the shell sequence is repeated twice on each end and three times between the popcorns

I think it is telling you to simply repeat the popcorn sequence, from the **: i.e. where it begins: "ch 1, popcorn st in next dc (popcorn st...etc". You make 3 popcorns, and then do the shell stitch bit of the pattern.

It's a bit confusing, the way it's written, but I think that's because the directions for actually making the popcorn are inserted in the text. A modern pattern would give all the abbreviations and instructions for special stitches neatly at the beginning, and then you could see more clearly what you had to do.

Hope I've helped!

It's a very pretty stole.

Unfortunately, with patterns like this, you just have to take the time and re-write them, line by line. The asterisks do make is very hard to follow the pattern as it is written; I'd just write it out, row by row for the pattern sequence, then you can keep track of where you are with a magnetic strip, or a highlighter.

It probably won't take too long to rewrite the instructions, and once it's done it's done, and you'll be able to see where you're going!

I do this all the time, with old tatting patterns, so I have come to accept the necessity.

Archived