Mackinaw City

Sylviaf

We are on vacation and I saw a cute yarn shop in town. Of course I stopped in. It is a lovely little shop with good inventory. The lady working there (I got the impression she was the owner) asked me if I knitted. I explained that I don't, but I crochet. Her response was that she guessed there were some people who do that, but not many...! It wasn't intended to be insulting, but I almost laughed at her. Instead, I just agreed that there were some of us around. She showed me their meager crochet offerings, which didn't matter because I really wanted to look at the yarn. To her credit, she didn't give me any of that silliness about certain yarns being wrong for crochet. She just seemed a little clueless. My husband said he figured if you cater to knitters then that is who you are aware of and just assume that there aren't many people who crochet. Anyway, I got some yarn and had a laugh. A few days ago I had a sadder experience in Holland. I went into a store that seemed to be fine six weeks ago that was clearing out everything because the owners were retiring. I got a lot of yarn that was 50-70% off as well as some cross-stitch supplies, so that was fun, but it always makes me sad to see any kind of needlework store cease to exist.

Archived