I, too, need help regarding a Baby Afgan

ManassasMa

Question

Here's my story (sad, but true).

(a) I am crocheting a VERY special infant afgan (it's intended to be presented at my totally and absolutely favorite 1st cousin's daughter-in-law's first baby shower; also, a first grandSON for my cousin) on 8/25.

(b) I purchased four (4) skeins (14 oz.) of Berroco's "Comfort" yarn in order to accomplish this project (3 "blue", 1 "white"; I'm all finished with what I want to "do" with the white, and now am into doing what needs to be done using the blue -- and, yes, if that means purchasing yet another skein, I'm in there for that, too).

© I am using "Erin's pattern" (a rectangular Granny), except that I FOOLISHLY began my initial chain with only 24 stiches when I now (at least 60% complete, using an "E" hook -- which, also was foolish, but I simply couldn't find either of my G or H hooks when I began) believe I should have gone with 32 (or perhaps even 36) chains, initially (I actually began the afgan again, using 40 initial chains, but that didn't give me my "desired result", either -- which is how I've now arrived at the point where I believe I should have begun with 32 or 36 initial chains).

(d) what I am attempting to "present" is a RECTANGULAR infant afgan that the Mom2B can use (initially) to cover/blanket her "little angel" but that, "later", she will also be able to use as an infant seat "cover" and, perhaps, as a car seat "cover" (in other words, recognizably "longer" than "wider").

(e) the afgan I have "in progress" currently measures 18wx21l inches; for what it is, it looks lovely, but what I WANT is for it to be "recognizably" LONGER than it is WIDE -- perhaps, getting around to being 25wx32l inches;

What I want to do now is INCREASE my "length" rows. I'm thinking about adding 3-5 rows on both of the "length" sides of my pattern (blue vs. white) and then resuming my "original pattern" (rectangular granny) mode so that I can "finish it off" (with blue).

But I can't figure out how to "count" what I should want to do across, on my LENGTH side. (?????)

In addition, I need GUIDANCE as to what I should do (perhaps just continue with "the original pattern" ???; perhaps some additional adjustment needs to be made???; I simply DO NOT KNOW !!!!) when I attempt to border it/close it out.

As I am counting the stitches (NOT including the 12 stitch "turn" on either edge), I am at 20/24 "clusters" (80 stitches; 60 trebles and 20 chains on my "width" side vs. 96 stitches, 72 trebles and 24 chains on my "length" side).

I THINK I must get to "a place" where I am AT LEAST at 132 stitches LONG vs. 112 (a "maximum") stitches wide.

Does any of this make sense to anyone of you?

If it does, I would GENUINELY appreciate your HELPFUL IMPUT !!!!

(please :hug)

PS: If I MUST, I will simply continue to "circle around" my afgan until I get to a point when I consider it to be "especially presentable". But, in the alternative, I would REALLY like to know if there is another "answer" -- for ifever/whenever I make the same MISTAKE again :(.

1 answer to this question

Archived