Gauge Help

joules

Question

Hi I'm new to crochet, my name is Julie and I like in the UK. I have been learning from Crochet for Dummies.

Recently I bought a book full of granny squares which all finish to 6 inches. However my first attempt is 6 inches by 7 inches

The stitch gauge is correct buy my rows are out by one inch! I am using a 4mm hook and DK yarn as the book says.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong. I was hoping to use the book to make a sampler throw but can't if my squares are rectangles. I have re-read the instructions and am sure i am doing the correct stich, when i compare mine to the picture my stitches looks streched out compare to the origonal.

Help! :think

9 answers to this question

It could be that you crochet loosely, and that would make it looked stretched out. Try a size smaller hook and see if the gauge comes out correctly.

It should effect both...but it will depend greatly on how tight or loosely you crochet ...keep trying different hooks to get the desired gauge. Good Luck...!

If it were a gauge problem they would still be square, just a different size than suggested. If you are working correctly in rnds, then I can't figure out how one direction could be wider than the other.

You do know that English crochet patterns use different terminology than US patterns, I assume.

Why don't you start again and work one round, then measure and see

if it is square. Then work the next round, measure again, and see if it is square. Keep doing this until the work changes proportions, and you should be able to see where the problem is. And be sure all four corners are

perfectly square. Be sure to let us know if you figure it out! This is a problem I've never met before!

If you can get them square, it really does not matter if they come out

6", 7" or whatever. Different yarns can give different results.

Jean Leinhauser

Creative Partners

You said you were working in rows. I assumed you working in rnds as that is how granny squares are worked.

If your squares are in rows, not rounds, then the problem is that your dc sts are too tall. There is any easy fix for that. Let me know and I think I can help: rows or rnds?

Jean

:hook Thanks for the advice i do know the names are diffferent in UK and US. What im doing is a square in rows using a single crochet worked into the back loop to form a ribbed effect. I chain 29 stitches using one as the first turning chain.

It does look like the stitches are too tall, almost like i am stretching them. I can see the loop i am working into stretching as i a forming the next stitch, Im using very cheap wool yarn, could that be a problem.

I did restart it witha smaller hook and it does seem smaller but now measures 5.5 inches across and not 6! Would that come out in the blocking?

Sorry about the confusion its just some of the squares in the book are sewn in rounds some are inrows. I havent tried a round yet as i thought this would be eay to start with. Sorry i didnt explain properly to begin with im still new at this.

Thanks for all your help.

OK, rows it is! There is an easy way to adjust the height of your rows, whatever stitch you are working in.

Now for sc:

insert hook in specified st and draw up a lp -- now stop! That loop is what I call the Magic Loop, as it determines the final height of your stitch.

Your sc sts are too tall, so don't draw that lp up quite so high. Practice a bit drawing it up less high and eventually you will gt it right.

That first lp you draw up always sets the height of the stitch.

I hope this helps.

Jean

Archived