Baby sweater help!!!

Melissa1983

Question

I just got a book to help me with making new things because making hats and blankets with the same double crochet pattern is getting boring... The book is by BERNAT and its called precious pieces (bonus book) and my problem is that not only do I stink at reading patterns but through trial and error I made the top part of the sweater and it looks like a little poncho thats not attached down the middle... I dont understand the next step at all. It says "Divide for body: with seperate length of main color and right side facing, join yarn with sl st in space between 6th V st and 7th V st from left front edge. Ch 5. Miss next 11 V sts (left sleeve). Join with sl st in sp between last V st and next V st. Fasten off." Im going to keep trying at it but Im mainly confused about where the "seperate length" of the main color comes from or is attached to... I get so confused and start to think that Ive done the whole project wrong but I dont want to take it all apart if Ive done it all right up until now! If anyone can help that would be fantastic and if you need a pic then I can take 1 and post it. Thanks in advance!!!

4 answers to this question

:cheer From the very quick look I had, it would seem you are working from the top down.

What you are being asked to do is create armholes. The CH5 will be the underarm.

I would have just incorperated this bit into the pattern but they are using separate bits just to create the CH5 which you will work into on the next row.

Just make sure that you choose the correct place to put these CH so that you end up with the same number of stitches on each front and the back should be about twice the width of the fronts.

Just read carefully and do as they say and you will be fine.

Break you bits off from the opposite end to the where you are working, dont break off where you are working now.

What I would do first is count across and mark , with little gold pins, where you are going to make these CH5s.

This way, you will be able to fold the piece to make sure it sits right.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Thanks - It does help a little bit. I'll keep at it until I get it! Im more of a visual person so if the book had pics of each setp I would be better off! lol Thanks again!

:cheer PM me the pattern and I will do a little bit so I can show you what they mean, or I will draw a picture, if I can.

I was going through some old knitting books the other day, Sandras, and with each pattern there is a line drawing of each part of the pattern with an arrow showing which direction you are working.

Also has the measurements that each piece should be when finished.

This should be standard on all patterns, especially for learners.

Hope I can help you more.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Hey Colleen!

Thanks for the feedback and help - I actually figured the pattern out! I finished the cardigan! Its bigger than anticipated but I can get all the details underway now that I know what im doing! lol

Archived