A most lovely scarf

I'm new to this forum and so, perhaps, I should not feel so free to post so early. But I am, right this minute, so proud of myself, so full of myself that I simply could not resist the temptation to share :c9:manyheart.

Here's my story:

Determined to use up any and all "extra" yarn I had on hand, I decided to make scarves. They only take a couple of hours to create and my thought was that, perhaps, whatever came out of this I could either give away as Christmas presents or deliver to our area's "women's shelter" once it began to get cold.

Backtracking just a bit:

* I usually create afgans (I simply LOVE making giant, rectangular "granny square" afgans and laprobes);

* I usually use a "larger" hook (in this instance, a plastic "L" hook);

* I usually "double thread", most oftentimes with identical colors, but this time (at least in part) with different, but complementary colors; and

* I usually use the "treble stich" when I make afgans but I used the "double crochet" stitch for the scarf I am about to brag about.

(Oh, yeah, for this "exercise", I am using Red Heart Super Saver 4-ply worsted.)

It was simple:

(1) I pulled a small ball of WHITE yarn out of my "stash" and just made a chain with it (I didn't count, but probably somewhere in the area of 120 chain stitches).

(2) I then went back into my "stash" and pulled out a ball of PETAL PINK and dc'd my way across.

(3) (and this is where my scarf first began to take on the appearance of a genuine "masterpiece"):

I had some "still on the skein" (meaning single strands) of both PETAL PINK and BUFF, but not really enough of either to do anything much with, so I simply joined the two colors, working in the BACK LOOP of my PETAL PINK row, and dc'd my way across.

It began to look like a Neopolitan Ice Cream selection (you know, the chocolate, vanilla, strawberry combo).

(4) As it happened, I had enough (just barely) "remnant" WHITE, PETAL PINK and BUFF yarn to repeat this "exercise" 3 more times (total rows = 9; my width = 7 inches).

And, as far as I am concerned, it is simply the most LOVELY scarf I have ever made. And now I'm thinking I will keep it for myself.

NOTES:

(a) I would have posted a picture, but shame on me :(, I still don't know how to do that.

(b) I THINK it might have looked even nicer (if that could be imagined) if I had been able to use either CAFE or COFFEE instead of BUFF, but since I didn't have either if those colors available, I may never know.

© I think ANY color combination(s) would look nice, so long as the first 2 out of each 3 rows are solid and the 3rd row is "mixed". (I've still got some WHITE, some BRIGHT YELLOW and some more PETAL PINK I want to use up. I'm thinking I'll just create another scarf tonight.)

(d) It's REALLY easy (who would have thought :yay). And a GREAT way to use up your "remnant" yarn. No turning is necessary. Just keep making "rows". IMO, the trick to this pattern/design is to work in the back loops of each row.

I just KNOW you'll be as happy with YOUR finished product as I am with mine.:)

Thank you for sharing your experience with your super wonderful scarf. Sure wish we could see a picture of your masterpiece.

Welcome to Crochetville and a warm welcome from Michigan.

:flower:welcome:hi:waving

welcome! It is never too early to post pics. We love to ooohh and aaahhh over everyone's creations! Your scarf sound lovely.

here is a link on how to post images:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40

If you have photo bucket, it is very easy to add pics. You could also add a link to a blog if you have one or to another pic hosting site...like flickr

It sounds great, and I'd love to see a pic. If you can't figure out how to post one, send it to me and I'd be happy to put it up for you. You can PM me for my email address if posting it yourself doesn't work.

It's never to early to post! That's why you joined. We can't wait to see your photos. You could use the Scratch Pad at the bottom of the forum list to practice until you get the hang of it.

Archived